The Ortovox 3+ can be updated using an infrared
interface. The ability to update your beacon is important, because it allows you to
get enhancements and new features without purchasing a new avalanche transceiver. (Learn
about updates to other transceivers)
To determine which version of software is installed on your 3+:
- Turn on your 3+
- The screen displays the serial number (five two-digit numbers).
- The screen displays a screen test (i.e., everything is displayed
- The battery percentage is displayed.
- The version number is displayed.
Ortovox usually charges $25 to update transceivers, although some updates are free.
USA or find a dealer on the Ortovox
website for details.
This software version was released on May, 2018. It replaces a potentially
serious bug in the version 2.1 software.
Read about the recall
of version 2.1.
This software version was recalled
in May 2018. Read about
Enhancements to version 2.1 as published by Ortovox (Confusing text?
- Better accuracy of distance indication (from first signal
to 20 meters).
- Louder and more intuitive search sound.
- Earlier fine search: Sound at 3.0m and display at 2.5m.
- Sound indications (On, battery level, error during self test,
error during partner check, Send, Search, flagging successful, flagging
- Smart Antenna indication for 20 seconds.
- All errors now displayed as a code plus "EE".
Enhancements to version 1.1 as published by Ortovox:
- Simultaneous and faster initial display of direction, distance
- Improved Partner-Check.
- Greater backward compatibility with analog devices.
- Acoustic warning 10 seconds before the automatic "revert
to transmit" mode. (Previous versions emitted a very quiet
clicking sound after reverting.)
- Acoustic warning if the device is switched on but has remained
stationary for 30 minutes (switch-off reminder).
First release of the 3+ software.
This version did not display a version number on startup.