Black Diamond Equipment announced a voluntary recall of most Black Diamond and Pieps avalanche transceivers in 2022. This page explains how to test the Pieps Micro BT Button and Race transceivers. Learn more about the recall.
- Turn the device on. Wait for the display of the Software Version, as well as Self Check Result and for the Group Check Countdown to be completed.
- The device is now in SEND mode with the SEND symbol ("X") flashing.
- Press the SEND/SEARCH button. The display will show a flashing flag and a countdown (3 seconds).
- Confirm to switch to SEARCH mode by pressing once (not holding) the Mark button within the countdown.
- If your device is now in search mode ("--" search symbol displayed), you are not required to contact Black Diamond.
- If your device cannot be switched into the search mode, contact Black Diamond/Pieps.
Additional Checks using the Pieps App:
- Activate Bluetooth by pressing the MARK button while switching on beacon. As soon as the Bluetooth symbol appears on the display release the MARK button.
- Make sure Bluetooth is activated on your phone.
- Open the PIEPS App on your phone and click on "Connect Bluetooth Device."
- Select your device.
- Go to Device Check, press start and follow the instructions.
- Make sure the device check result shows "OK".
- If the device check is negative, contact Black Diamond/Pieps.
Please send me a note, too, if your transceiver fails these tests.
(Black Diamond's official instructions on testing your transceiver.)