The Ortovox 3+ can be updated (read
about updating other transceivers). The update is done using an infrared interface.
The ability to update your beacon is important, because it allows you to get enhancements
and new features without purchasing a new avalanche transceiver.
To determine which version of software is installed on your 3+:
- Turn your 3+
- The screen displays the serial number (five two-digit numbers)
- The screen displays a screen test (everything is displayed momentarily)
- The battery percentage is displayed
- The version number is displayed
Unlike the Pieps, Pulse, and Tracker2, there isn't a charge to update the 3+
at a retail stores (great decision, Ortovox). There is a nominal charge if you choose
to mail your transceiver to Ortovox (to cover shipping and insurance). Contact
Ortovox USA or find
a dealer on the Ortovox website for details.
Enhancements to version 1.1 as published by Ortovox:
- Simultaneous and faster initial display of direction, distance and sound
- Improved Partner-Check
- Greater backward compatibility with analog devices
- Acoustic warning 10 seconds before the automatic switchover [i.e., "revert"]
to transmitting. [Previous versions emitted a very quiet clicking sound
- Acoustic warning if the device is switched on but has remained stationary
for 30 minutes (switch-off reminder)
First release of the 3+ software.
This version did not display a version number on startup.